Did you know that everybody is creative? Maybe you think that you aren’t, but you’re wrong. Creativity is more than painting or playing violin, it is really the single greatest asset we have for achieving success and happiness. Creativity is how we solve problems, decide what to do, and how to have fun. No matter who you are, you have the capacity to be creative and the need to use it every day. When is the right time to teach your child about creativity? Right now!
1. The creative process. Creativity isn’t hard, it’s actually a simple process of figuring out what’s wrong, thinking about how you can fix it, and then actually fixing it. It’s easy! Everybody can be creative.
2. Life Becomes More Interesting. Every time you tell a joke, you are being creative. Each one of your hobbies is creative too. Everything that you enjoy comes from creativity, so the more creative you are, the more fun and interesting your life will be.
3. How are you creative? You are creative in a way that nobody else in the world is, ever has been, or ever will be! Learning how you are creative will help you become more creative. Maybe you come up with lots of new ideas, or combine old ideas into something new. Do you build on the work of others, or start brand-new? Do you make a plan, or jump right in?
4. Creative all the time. Every moment of every day is an opportunity for you to be creative. At school, at home, with your friends, at your hobbies – wherever it is – use your talents and gifts in different ways. Be curious and explore!
5. What’s Wrong? You have problems, I have problems, but with creativity, there are solutions! What’s something that bothers you? Is your bed too hard, or the cupboards too high up for you to reach? Large or small, thinking about and fixing your problems is a great way to become more creative.
6. Brainstorming. You have an incredible power to come up with new and great ideas, all you have to do is try! Brainstorming is a fancy word for sitting down and writing out every idea that pops into your head, no matter how silly. You can come up with 100 if you try!
7. Which ideas are best? Whoa! You have a huge list of ideas! What do you do with them all? Ask yourself some tough questions. Which ones are your best ideas? Which ideas help you fix your problem? Can you combine some of them to make a better solution?
8. Energy and Focus. Maybe you have lots of energy, but could use some more focus, or maybe it’s the other way around. There is nothing more energizing than using your creativity, but it’s the kind of energy that helps you focus to get things done faster and better, while having lots more fun!
9. The-Best-Version-of-Yourself. In reality, the-best-version-of-yourself is also the-most-creative-version-of-yourself. Don’t be too shy or too proud, be creative!
10. Creativity is like a muscle. Just like anything else, the best way to learn to be creative, is to start being creative. Now you know how, so start today and use it every day.
Walk your child through this creative process and help them realize the power they have to come up with new and exciting ideas. Sit down with your son or daughter, help them identify a problem in their life, even a small one, and teach them how to brainstorm solutions to fix it.
Every problem in this world has been solved by people who knew the future could be better than the past. This is the wisdom of creativity. Make this wisdom a part of your child’s life today.
Other Resources on this Topic: